Saturday, September 9, 2017

Chapter Six Review

After reading chapter six of, "The Connected Educator," I have grasped an understanding on how people in their working fields create, set roles, communicate, and share valuable ideas and lessons while using networks.   The world we live in today, is growing very fast and is becoming more technology based.  Obtaining knowledge, learning, and applying ideas can all be found and managed within virtual networks.  Personal learning networks allows you make deeper connections and relationships with people all around the world that are in the same working field as you are.  Networks are where you can find ideas and information and bring that following information back to your work place and share what you have learned.  This allows the work place to grow and be open minded by accepting new thoughts and ideas and enforcing them.  However, after obtaining certain ideas from various networks, you are allowed to alter those thoughts and ideas.

Networking can be very overwhelming at first, the author states.  Questions can start to form: How many people should I follow?  Am I interested in what this person is sharing?  Are these ideas inspiring me and can I bring them back to my community?  People starting to network need to remember this, you have to see yourself as a learner first and a teacher second.  It is okay to not be a leader in the networking field.  It is acceptable to just sit back and try to absorb, learn, and apply as much information you can and bring it back to your community.  I have learned that there are four roles you can obtain while networking based on your participation.  The first one is linking: where a person can join a network and visit periodically.  The second role is, lurking: where a person does not share their own thoughts and ideas, however they like to learn from others.  The third is, learning: this person brings something to the virtual network and take away information.  The last is, leading: this is where the individual puts enormous amount of time into their community.

Overall, after reading this chapter made me realize how important it is to network yourself.  Becoming a future educator, I now see how important it is to begin to network yourself early on in your career.  Over this past summer, I have started to network myself on the social media, Instagram.  (Yes, I know, it might sound silly).  On Instagram, I find many different educators who share new ideas, lessons, and concerns on their social media.  Most of the educators that I follow will post a little picture explaining a new concept or lesson, but will post a link to their blog containing their thoughts, ideas, comments and concerns.  I hope as time goes on during this semester, I can learn how to network myself professionally and start to comment and post my ideas.  Becoming an educator, I see how networking can not only help myself as an individual, but my co-teachers.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Heather! I never knew Instagram is now being used for networking in that aspect! That is so cool that you knew that! This class is definitely relatable to all of what you experienced. Great input!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, I thought I would check out your blog since you took a look at mine! You are completely right in saying that the world is becoming very technology based. I love that you know that networking early is practically a necessity at this point in life. You can never be too prepared for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before reading the chapter, I never realized how vital it is to network yourself. I was realized you had to market yourself and get your name out, but I didn't realize the magnitude it has on getting a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Heather, great post! I completely agree that networking can be overwhelming. It can be stressful at times when deciding who you should follow and if you should follow someone back, but I loved the line about seeing ourselves as the learner first and the teacher second. I also found it interesting that you began to network yourself using Instagram! I think that it is really amazing that an app that I frequently use for sharing pictures could also be used for networking. Thanks so much for the tip! I will definitely be looking into this once I begin to network myself. Like you said, it's never too early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,
    I really enjoyed your blog! You made a lot of great points! love that you added visual aids and I now plan on doing the same! I also agree that I have heard of these networks but never actually realized how helpful they would be in getting a job one day!

    ReplyDelete